JD, University of New Hampshire School of Law
BA, Biology, Manhattan College
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
Award for "substantial contribution to the administration of justice," Massachusetts Judicial Conference
Selected as a Fellow, Massachusetts Bar Association’s Leadership Academy (2017-18)
Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, Judicial Administration Council (2018-2019)
- Fellow, Leadership Academy (2017-2018)
Justinian Law Society
Vincent N. DePalo, Associate
Vincent practices in many areas of civil litigation, especially products liability, insurance defense, condominium disputes, asbestos litigation, personal injury, and environmental claims.
Vincent’s courtroom experience includes a recent defense verdict in the first joint asbestos-tobacco trial in Massachusetts history. This six-week jury trial, which Vincent handled with partner, David Governo, garnered national attention and resulted in a $43.1 million verdict against a co-defendant tobacco company. The jury found the firm’s client, a brake rebuilder, not liable on all counts.
Before joining Smith Duggan, Vincent served as a Judicial Fellow for Superior Court Associate Justice Dennis J. Curran and a Staff Attorney at the Middlesex County Superior Court.
He has been published in both legal and scientific journals. As an undergraduate, Vincent assisted in research into cancer genetics at Massachusetts General Hospital’s world-renowned Neuro-radiation Oncology Laboratory. As an attorney, Vincent extensively researched attorney-directed voir dire and jury dynamics. The work culminated in a law review article authored jointly with Judge Dennis Curran and published in the Suffolk Journal of Trial and Appellate Advocacy entitled “Attorney-Directed Voir Dire Comes to Massachusetts: The Republic is Safe.”
Vincent has lectured to undergraduates at Brown, Tufts, and Northeastern Universities, and to law students at Northeastern and Roger Williams Schools of Law. He has also lectured at Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (M.C.L.E.) and Massachusetts Bar Association programs.
The Massachusetts Bar Association selected Vincent as a Fellow in the 2017-18 Leadership Academy. He currently serves as a member of the Massachusetts Bar Associations’ Judicial Administration Council.
- 2018 “Rising Star” - Super Lawyers, New England
- Claims Professional Desk Reference, Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (2018) (Co-authored chapter about Massachusetts law).
- Attorney-Directed Voir Dire Comes to Massachusetts: The Republic Is Safe, Suffolk J. of Trial & App. Advoc. (2017) (Co-author).
- Stiff Medicine: The Medicare Lien Process, MATA Journal (November 2014) (Author).
- Abraham Lincoln: An Early Champion of ADR, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (November 27, 2013) (Noted Contributor).
- An Honorable Salary? (2012), published online by the National Center for State Courts, at http://www.ncsc.org/Topics/Judicial-Officers/Judicial-Compensation/Resource-Guide.aspx (Project Director).
- Molecular and Genetic Profiling of Prostate Cancer: Implications for Future Therapy, Current Cancer Therapy Reviews (2007) (Co-author).
- Brown University, Guest Lecturer (Summer 2018).
- 74th Annual Session of the Massachusetts Boys State American Legion Program, Law Lecturer (June 17, 2018).
- Tufts University Experimental College, Guest Lecturer (Spring 2018).
- Northeastern University, Guest Lecturer (Fall 2015 – Spring 2018).
- Northeastern University School of Law, Guest Lecturer (Summer 2015 – Spring 2017).
- Roger Williams School of Law, Guest Lecturer (Fall 2013 – Fall 2016).
- 61st Annual Eastern Colleges Science Conference, Galectin-1 and AR and Their Role in Androgen Independent Prostate Cancer, Bronx, New York, Original Research Presentation (April 22, 2007).