JD, Northeastern University
MPH, Boston University School of Medicine and Public Health
BA, Brandeis University
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
U.S. District Court, District of Rhode Island
U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
Boston Globe’s 2015 Top Rated Lawyers of 2015
Martindale Hubbell Rated “AV” (Preeminent)
Treasurer, Massachusetts Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates
Past President, Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association
Past President, Alumni Association Northeastern University School of Law
Past Board Member, Massachusetts Society for Healthcare Risk Management.
Massachusetts Bar Association
Rhode Island Bar Association
Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association
Alumni Association Northeastern University School of Law
American Board of Trial Advocates
Massachusetts Society for Healthcare Risk
American Health Lawyers Association
Barbara Hayes Buell, Partner
For 35 years, Ms. Buell has been recognized by Martindale-Hubbell with an “AV” Preeminent rating, the highest possible peer review rating in Legal Ability and Ethical Standards. She has attained the rank of Advocate in the American Board of Trial Advocates, the premier national association of civil trial attorneys from both plaintiffs’ and defense bars. She is licensed to practice before the courts of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the State of Rhode Island. Ms. Buell also has authored articles and book chapters for practicing attorneys in Massachusetts and has lectured to healthcare providers regarding regulatory and other matters.
Ms. Buell frequently handles matters before the State Boards which license Physicians, Dentists, Nurses, Social Workers and other health professionals. She has represented hospitals in matters of policy, credentialing, and delineation of privledges. To support her interest in health law, Ms. Buell earned a Master’s in Public Health at Boston University School of Public Health in the School of Medicine in 1994. In addition, Ms. Buell has been involved in Charter Schools in Massachusetts since the enabling statute was passed in 1995 and has represented over eighteen of the authorized schools in Massachusetts since that time.
Ms. Buell’s experience as an attorney and trial lawyer has been enhanced by her business acumen acquired as the owner/manager of both commercial and residential real estate and her ownership of a graphic design studio.
Ms. Buell also practices in the field of mental health by representing hospitals in commitment procedures and families in guardianship procedures.
- Massachusetts Superior Court Civil Practice Manual, “Other Rule 9A Motions,” October 1995, 2002, 2006, 2008; 2013
- “Spoliation,” Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association Newsletter, April 2002;
- “A Dentist’s Obligation to Treat HIV Patients,” Legal Update, the Edict, Volume 5, December, 1995;
- Editor, Issue Update, Vol. 5, Number 2, October 1995, published by Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association, Focus: Employment Law and Discrimination;
- “The legal section of the Massachusetts Charter School Handbook,” published by the Pioneer Institute for Public Policy Research, Charter School Resource Center, Boston, Massachusetts, 1994;
- Editor, Issue Update, Vol. 4, Number 1, September 1994, published by Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association, Focus: Medical Malpractice;
- “Taking the Sting Out of Litigation with ADR,” Mass. Lawyer’s Weekly, Vol. 21, No. 51, September 6, 1993;
- “Cross-Examining An Expert Witness,” The Use of Expert Witnesses, 88-630, Boston, Massachusetts, Continuing Legal Education, Inc., 1988;
- “Pre-Trial Discovery,” Massachusetts Bar Association, 1984;
- “Getting Down to Brass Tax,” Sojourner, March 1979.
- What They Don’t Teach you in Dental School,” Presentation at Tufts Dental School, January, 2009;
- “Grand Rounds - Nursing Documentation,” MetroWest Medical Center, September 2007;
- “Prescribing Practices 101,” Saint Vincent Hospital, November 2005;
- “Spoliation of Evidence,” Tenet Health Systems, October 2005;
- “Grand Rounds – The Board of Registration in Medicine,” Lawrence General Hospital, May 2001;
- “Grand Rounds – The Board of Registration in Medicine”, Lowell General Hospital, February 2000;
- “Vicarious Liability,” Boston Medical Center;
- “JCAHO’S Sentinel Events Reporting Requirements,” J&H Marsh & McLennan, March 1998
- PRACTICE AREAS
NEWS & KNOWLEDGE
- Barbara Hayes Buell Featured at B.U. School of Public Health Graduation
- Partners Barbara Buell & Gerard Butler speak at the 27th Annual New England Regional Healthcare Risk Management Conference
- Barbara Buell recently gave a talk to a group of music educators in Boston public schools about how to minimize the risk of being sued by students or their parents