JD, Boston University Law School, 1990
BS, Boston College, Carroll School of Management, 1987
New Hampshire, 2016
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating
Frank J. Murray American Inn of Court
Faculty Member for Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education
Youth Hockey Coach
Youth Baseball Coach
DID YOU KNOW?
In his spare time, Gerard enjoys coaching his children's hockey and baseball teams, which allows him to combine his two greatest interests: his children and advocacy. From his perspective, coaching youth sports is much like trying a jury case. In both, you must be able to convince your audience to take action.
Gerard A. Butler, Jr., Partner
Gerard, an accomplished trial advocate, has been lead counsel in more than one hundred jury trials. He focuses his practice on business disputes, health care litigation, products liability defense, eminent domain defense, and personal law litigation. In addition to his civil litigation practice, he represents clients in administrative hearings and investigations.
He honed his trial skills as former prosecutor in Middlesex County, where he not only served as lead trial lawyer in one hundred jury trials, but was lead counsel in one hundred, jury-waived trials as well. He is also a sought after lecturer on trial strategy for Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education.
- Successfully represented a Medical Executive Committee in Fair Hearing to revoke privileges for an invasive cardiologist.
- Obtained a jury verdict for the defense and judgment of return of pro tanto payment in an eminent domain case in Norfolk Superior Court.
- Successfully defeated a preliminary injunction filed against a community hospital that would have prevented joint venture agreement with a major Boston-area teaching hospital.
- Obtained a defense jury verdict in a $5 million contract action.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment for a defendant in a dispute arising from a multimillion dollar management contract.
- Obtained a jury verdict for the defense in an eminent domain case in Plymouth Superior Court.
- Negotiated a dismissal without any payment in a wrongful death claim arising from an aircraft crash that was filed against an aviation company.
- Defeated a preliminary injunction that sought to enjoin Apple from constructing a new downtown Boston retail store.
- Defeated a preliminary injunction sought to attach business bank accounts in a contract dispute.
- Defeated an attempt to add a manufacturer of waterproofing material in a wrongful death action arising out of a construction accident.
- Successfully convinced Appeals Court to overturn $1 million judgment for attorney’s fees in an indemnity action.
- Received summary judgment in a case arising from a business dispute with an independent contractor.
- FEATURED RESULTS
- PRACTICE AREAS
NEWS & KNOWLEDGE
- Smith Duggan Once Again Named as a "Best Law Firm" by U.S. News & World Report. Six Lawyers Also Recognized by "Super Lawyers" and Eleven Partners Receive Highest Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Barbara Buell and Gerard Butler Address the Massachusetts Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- Partners Barbara Buell & Gerard Butler speak at the 27th Annual New England Regional Healthcare Risk Management Conference