We provide clients with the personal attention of senior lawyers who have decades of experience and a track record of success. We analyze each matter promptly and with a clear eye, often taking creative approaches others miss. We reject the notion of cookie-cutter representation – doing things because others have always done them. We like to break the mold if a new approach will lead to better results for our clients.
We believe in thorough preparation. When we appear for a client, whether in court or in a boardroom, the client can be assured that our attorneys will be the most prepared lawyers involved in the matter. Judges know and recognize our attorneys, not only because we love the courtroom, but also because judges know that our lawyers are prepared and will give straight answers to the court and counsel at all times. Power often means stipulating to what is not in dispute so that the parties and court can quickly come to grips with what is truly contested.
True power is not measured by the number of floors in a law firm. Instead, true power is demonstrated by the ability to bring superior legal talent to bear on an issue and to deliver excellent results promptly at reasonable cost. That often means the wisdom and creativity of a single senior counsel with long experience and a creative mind. We do not believe that power is synonymous with overstaffing. In our view, real power comes from the respect earned from courts and opposing counsel from decades of success, delivered honorably and honestly in the courtroom, boardroom or conference room.
Preparation. Skill. Experience. Confidence. Those are the traits of true power. Those have been the hallmarks of Smith Duggan for a quarter of a century.
We believe in honesty and integrity. We also believe in treating everyone with professionalism and civility. This includes opposing counsel – even if those traits are not always reciprocated. We believe law is a profession, and we are honored to be practitioners in a profession that dates back over a millennium.
We believe that courts know and appreciate our approach to the practice. But that is not the reason we hold ourselves to this standard. We do so because we believe we are stewards of a profession to be passed on the future generations.
Honesty. Integrity. Civility. Professionalism. We are proud to have stood for these ideals since 1989. We will stand for them as we grow in the future.
Smith Duggan provides effective, innovative and timely legal advice to businesses, organizations, individuals and government agencies in Massachusetts, New England, and across the United States. From preeminent trial lawyers to trusted legal counselors, our experienced attorneys serve our clients’ varied needs in a competitive marketplace. We have a keen appreciation for the adept legal analysis, strategic thinking and focused energy that are required to meet the most demanding legal challenges.
Founded on the belief that legal representation of the highest caliber and ethical standards should be the hallmark of client service, Smith Duggan represents clients in a wide range of civil matters from commercial disputes and product liability litigation, to professional malpractice, construction, divorce, and probate litigation, to health care, licensing, and government regulation. Smith Duggan advises large companies, small businesses and individuals with respect to commercial and residential real estate, corporate formation and governance, non-profit, employment, charter school, insurance, and trust and estate planning matters.
Clients choose Smith Duggan for our exceptional legal advice and our responsive, individualized approach. Rigorous preparation, excellence in legal skills, and an unwavering commitment to our clients produce a proven formula for success. We work with our clients to identify specific goals at the outset of the representation. Collaboration is essential. The collegial and friendly spirit we foster encourages attentive, helpful and creative legal solutions. Our commitment to excellence is paramount. We provide sophisticated legal services at competitive prices. Our dedication to clients and our careful understanding of their needs allow us to solve the toughest of legal problems with the proper balance of thoroughness and efficiency.
Honors & Associations
Smith Duggan has been rated “AV” Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell®, achieving the highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards. Smith Duggan earned its AV rating through a strenuous Peer Review Rating process that is managed and monitored by one of the world’s most trusted legal resources, Martindale-Hubbell® (www.martindale.com). Smith Duggan is listed as among the “Top Law Firms” by Corporate Counsel Magazine®. Smith Duggan is a member of the respected LEGUS® International Network of Law Firms (www.leguslaw.com), which provides our clients access to trusted counsel worldwide. Smith Duggan lawyers have been recognized as Super Lawyers® in areas of Products Liability, Aviation and Business Litigation, Family Law, Estate Planning & Probate, and Estate & Trust Litigation. Smith Duggan trial lawyers have been inducted to the highly selective American Board of Trial Advocates and the International Society of Barristers.
Smith Duggan attorneys maintain active and vibrant affiliations with some of the most important professional legal organizations in the country to help us keep current with the latest developments in the law, including: the American Bar Association, American Inns of Court, Massachusetts Bar Association, Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association, Boston Bar Association, New York Bar Association, Rhode Island Bar Association, and the Defense Research Institute, to name several.
- Thomas Herman Represents SecZetta in Securing Credit Facility
- Andrew Black Successfully Defends Employer Before the MCAD
- Thomas Herman Represents SecZetta in Securing Series A Funding
- Smith Duggan Successfully Defends Hospital in Civil Commitment Appeal
- Ken Wright Limits Step-Parent's Access to Child's Therapy Sessions and Clarifies Support Obligations
- Governo and DePalo Secure Defense Verdict in Massachusetts' First Ever Joint Asbestos-Tobacco Trial
- Smith Duggan Prevails in Federal Court for Major Cruise Line
- Smith Duggan Prevails in Federal Court for Travel Agency and Tour Operator
- Smith Duggan Successfully Defends Airport
- Condominium Seller Prevented from Backing Out of Deal
- Smith Duggan Reduces Weekly Workers' Compensation Benefits self-insured Company Must Pay to Injured Employee
- Smith Duggan Wins in Racial Profiling Case
- Smith Duggan Prevails Before Supreme Judicial Court for Stanley Black & Decker, Inc.
- Smith Duggan Stops Landlord from Piercing Corporate Veil
- Smith Duggan Prevails on Appeal of Section 1(7A) Defense in Worker's Compensation Case
- Smith Duggan Prevails in Case of First Impression Interpreting Aviation Insurance Policy
- Smith Duggan Obtains Defense Verdict in Automatic Door Case
- Smith Duggan Obtains Court Victory for Apple, Inc.
- Defense Verdict In $5M Construction Case
- No Breach Of Multi-Million-Dollar Management Contract
- Smith Duggan Prevails in Product Liability Case in Rhode Island Federal District Court
- Smith Duggan Wins Replevin Action for Ivy League University