JD, University of New Hampshire School of Law
BA, Biology, Manhattan College
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
Award for "substantial contribution to the administration of justice," Massachusetts Judicial Conference
Selected as a Fellow, Massachusetts Bar Association’s Leadership Academy (2017-18)
Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, Judicial Administration Council (2018-2019)
- Fellow, Leadership Academy (2017-2018)
Justinian Law Society
Vincent N. DePalo, Partner
Vincent practices in many areas of complex civil litigation, including toxic torts, environmental claims, and commercial disputes.
Vincent’s courtroom experience includes recently securing a defense verdict in the first joint asbestos-tobacco trial in Massachusetts history. This six-week jury trial, which Vincent handled with David Governo, garnered national attention and resulted in a $43.1 million verdict against a co-defendant tobacco company. The jury found the firm’s client, a brake rebuilder, not liable on all counts.
Before joining Smith Duggan, Vincent served as a Judicial Fellow for Superior Court Associate Justice Dennis J. Curran and a Staff Attorney at the Middlesex County Superior Court.
Vincent has been published in both legal and scientific journals. As an undergraduate, he assisted in research regarding cancer genetics at Massachusetts General Hospital’s world-renowned Neuro-radiation Oncology Laboratory. As an attorney, Vincent extensively researched attorney-directed voir dire and jury dynamics. That work culminated in a law review article authored jointly with Judge Dennis J. Curran and published in the Suffolk Journal of Trial and Appellate Advocacy, entitled “Attorney-Directed Voir Dire Comes to Massachusetts: The Republic is Safe.”
Vincent currently serves as an adjunct professor at Northeastern University School of Law. He has also given undergraduate lectures at Brown, Tufts, and Northeastern Universities and lectured law students at Roger Williams School of Law. In addition, Vincent frequently presents at Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (M.C.L.E.) and Massachusetts Bar Association programs.
The Massachusetts Bar Association selected Vincent as a Fellow in the 2017-2018 Leadership Academy. He currently serves as a member of the Massachusetts Bar Association’s Judicial Administration Council.
- 2018-2020 “Rising Star” - Super Lawyers, New England
- 2021 Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch”
- Protect Yourself from Asbestos Lawsuits in the Rebuilding Industry, Reman Connection Magazine (March 2019) (Co-author).
- Claims Professional Desk Reference, Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (2018) (Co-authored chapter about Massachusetts law).
- Attorney-Directed Voir Dire Comes to Massachusetts: The Republic Is Safe, Suffolk J. of Trial & App. Advoc. (2017) (Co-author).
- Stiff Medicine: The Medicare Lien Process, MATA Journal (November 2014) (Author).
- Abraham Lincoln: An Early Champion of ADR, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (November 27, 2013) (Noted Contributor).
- An Honorable Salary? (2012), published online by the National Center for State Courts, at http://www.ncsc.org/Topics/Judicial-Officers/Judicial-Compensation/Resource-Guide.aspx (Project Director).
- Molecular and Genetic Profiling of Prostate Cancer: Implications for Future Therapy, Current Cancer Therapy Reviews (2007) (Co-author).
- Real Estate Bar Association for Massachusetts, Massachusetts Lead Laws: Painting the Risk Landscape (November 2, 2020).
- MCLE, How to Develop Litigation Timelines: The 60-Minute Lawyer. Boston, Massachusetts (October 15, 2020).
- MCLE, How to Draft Civil Jury Instructions When a Model One Does Not Exist: The 60-Minute Lawyer. Boston, Massachusetts, Faculty (May 20, 2020).
- Effectively Disputing Lung Cancer Causation in Expert Depositions and Settlement Negotiations, Defense Research Institute, Asbestos Medicine Conference, Austin, Texas (Nov. 8, 2018), Presenter.
- FEATURED RESULTS
- PRACTICE AREAS
- "Asbestos Litigation in Massachusetts During COVID-19: Year-End Review," a Zoom Presentation Featuring Robert Boston and Vincent DePalo
- New Study: Changes Needed to Combat Deadly Legionnaires' Disease
- New EPA Standards for Lead in Paint, Dust and Soil
- David Governo and Vincent DePalo Author "Protect Yourself from Asbestos Lawsuits in the Rebuilding Industry" for Leading Trade Magazine
- SJC Rules Statute of Repose Applies to Asbestos-Related Disease Lawsuits in Massachusetts
NEWS & KNOWLEDGE
- The Best Lawyers in America© Recognizes Six Smith Duggan Partners; Two Attorneys Selected as Best Lawyers®: Ones to Watch
- Vincent N. DePalo Named Partner at Smith Duggan Buell & Rufo LLP
- 2020 Super Lawyers® Recognizes Eight Smith Duggan Attorneys
- Vincent DePalo to Address MCLE Program on Developing Litigation Timelines
- Vincent DePalo Announced as Featured Presenter for MCLE Program on Drafting Novel Jury Instructions
- Smith Duggan Named "Best Law Firm" by U.S. News & World Report; Thirteen Attorneys Receive Honors