J.D., cum laude, Boston College Law School, 1998
- Member, Boston College Law Review
B.A., cum laude, Tufts University, 1995
District of Columbia, 1999
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
American Board of Trial Advocates
- Massachusetts Chapter, Executive Committee
Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating
Massachusetts Super Lawyers’ Rising Star, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012
Massachusetts Bar Association
Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education
- Trial Tactics, Damages and Discovery; Faculty and Program Chair
DID YOU KNOW?
Dana was recently quoted in The New York Times as lead counsel in a complex antitrust case in which he successfully represented 116 plaintiffs who had opted out of a class action settlement.
Dana A. Zakarian, Partner
Dana is a seasoned trial lawyer who has been elected to the American Board of Trial Advocates and serves on the Executive Committee of its Massachusetts Chapter.
His practice includes business litigation, employment law, trade secrets, unfair and deceptive trade practices, construction, antitrust, and personal injury. Dana has obtained significant victories for clients both prosecuting and defending these claims. Here are just a few examples of the many important cases in which he has prevailed.
- Served as lead counsel in a complex antitrust case in which he represented 116 plaintiffs who opted out of a class action settlement and sought over $110 million in damages. The case garnered national media attention and settled on the eve of trial.
- Obtained a federal injunction preventing infringement on his client’s trademark as well as a significant settlement covering past infringement.
- Tried a complex business dispute concerning the development and commercialization of an automated pizza vending machine. After a two-week jury trial, the jury returned a million-dollar verdict.
- Tried a complex contract action involving four clinical studies for FDA approval of a contrast agent used in MRI technology. Following a week-long trial, Dana obtained a significant jury award as well as double damages and attorneys’ fees under the Massachusetts unfair and deceptive trade practices statute.
- Tried a real estate investment dispute in which the jury awarded over a million dollars in actual and punitive damages.
- Tried personal injury claims and obtained significant jury verdicts and settlements.
- Handled a variety of FINRA and AAA arbitrations and obtained significant awards, including double damages and attorney’s fees.
- Obtained significant recoveries for investment banking firms and sales representatives seeking to recover unpaid commissions and fees.
- Served as counsel to the MBTA and Commuter Rail in connection with the 2008 collision between a runaway freight car and a six-car commuter train in Canton, Massachusetts.
- Successfully defended verdicts on appeal, including a 2015 affirmance by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court involving federal preemption issues.
- Prosecuted the first case of a top professional athlete, the world’s former No. 3 ranked tennis player, claiming that a supplement manufacturer was responsible for a positive steroid test caused by its contaminated product.
Before joining Smith Duggan Buell & Rufo LLP in 2021, Dana practiced for 17 years at Nystrom, Beckman & Paris, LLP, and 6 years at Goodwin Procter LLP.
First and foremost, Dana strives to provide his clients with the highest level of service while helping them achieve their objectives in a targeted and cost-efficient manner.