JD, cum laude, Suffolk University Law School, 1985member Suffolk University Law Review, and published case note author in the Law Review
AB, Colgate University, 1980Deputy Editor Colgate Maroon, which is the oldest college weekly in the United States
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
Paul Harris Fellow, Rotary International
Legus International Network Of Law Firms, Massachusetts member
Attorney Wright has chaired and/or been a panel member on many Inn of Court presentations and practice demonstrations with trial attorneys and judges from Superior Court, Probate & Family Court, and Massachusetts Appeals Court including: preliminary injunction practice, single justice interlocutory appellate practice, full bench appellate oral arguments, the marital disqualification rule, and war crimes tribunals
Massachusetts Collaborative Law Council member
Founder, first president and member of Massachusetts Family & Probate American Inn Of Court
Certified by NACE International (the National Association of Corrosion Engineers) as a Level 2 Coatings Inspector
Board of Directors for 5 years and member Frank J. Murray American Inn Of Court, which focuses on civil litigation in the U.S. District Court and Massachusetts Superior Court
Faculty, DRI Fire and Casualty Seminar November 2010
Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating®
Top Rated Lawyer – The National Law Journal
Frank J. Murray American Inn Of Court
Massachusetts Family & Probate American Inn of Court
DRI (Defense Research Institute)
Society For Protective Coatings
Massachusetts Collaborative Law Council
Legus International Network Of Law Firms
Member, Garden City Lodge AF & AM, Newton, Massachusetts
Member, Lexington, Massachusetts Rotary Club
Assisted in reconstruction efforts in the Lower Ninth Ward, New Orleans, Louisiana following Hurricane Katrina
DID YOU KNOW?
Because of his leadership in the American Inns of Court movement, Attorney Wright was invited and twice attended black tie dinners held at the United Supreme Court and hosted by the Supreme Court and the American Inns of Court Foundation. Also, Ken Wright is an avid hiker, a third generation member of the Appalachian Mountain Club, and has climbed peaks throughout New England for almost his entire life.
Kenneth M. Wright, Partner
Ken Wright has over 30 years of experience representing companies and individuals in Massachusetts state and Federal Courts. Ken is a leader in the American Inns of Court movement, which promotes trial excellence, ethics, and civility.
The businesses Ken Wright has represented in trial and appellate courts range from some of the largest companies in the United States to sole proprietorships. Attorney Wright has represented his business clients in: products liability defense, paint and coatings litigation, toxic tort defense, retail litigation, construction litigation, class action defense, contract litigation, intellectual property litigation, intra-corporate litigation, dealership litigation, employment litigation, and real estate litigation.
Ken Wright represents individuals in family law matters including: divorce, child custody, trust litigation and estate litigation. In addition to his trial and appellate family law courtroom experience, Ken Wright also represents family law clients in collaborative law negotiations.
Ken Wright has over thirty years of experience representing businesses in Massachusetts state and Federal Courts. Ken Wright has represented businesses in many types of litigation including: products liability defense, paint and coatings litigation, toxic tort defense, retail litigation defense, construction litigation, class action defense, contract litigation, intellectual property litigation, intra-corporate litigation, dealership litigation, employment litigation, and real estate litigation.
Paint and Coatings Litigation
Ken Wright has represented the paint and coatings industry for over thirty years in numerous lawsuits in the manufacturing, construction, industrial, and retail contexts. The coatings cases that Attorney Wright has successfully defended include cases with allegations of coating failure, toxic tort, and injuries from the purported use of painting equipment. Attorney Wright’s courtroom experience and technical training in this field are unparalleled. Ken is certified by NACE International as a coatings inspector level 2 and is a member of this coating standards and credentialing organization. In addition, Attorney Wright has successfully passed professional coatings training given by the Society For Protective Coatings and is a member of this coating standards and credentialing organization.
Ken Wright has decades of courtroom experience representing clients in divorces, modification proceedings, and child custody disputes and all the issues that are part of these proceedings including visitation arrangements, alimony, child support, and property division. Attorney Wright’s clients in these matters have included men and women professionals, executives, doctors, business owners, employees, and non-working spouses.
Ken Wright is credentialed as a family law mediator and is a member of the Massachusetts Council on Family Mediation.
Although Ken is a trial attorney with extensive court experience in Massachusetts Probate & Family Courts, his style of practice is to attempt to achieve his clients’ goals through civil communication and negotiation with opposing attorneys, rather than taking a more confrontational approach. In addition to representing clients in contested proceedings in the Probate Court, Attorney Wright is a member of the Massachusetts Collaborative Law Council and represents family law clients in negotiations conducted in accordance with collaborative law protocols.
For more information please click here.
Probate & Trust Litigation
Attorney Ken Wright has decades of experience representing fiduciaries, beneficiaries, heirs, and claimants in will contests, fiduciary account litigation, and trust litigation. He also has experience in guardianship cases.
For more information please click here.
- Successfully obtained a defense verdict in a jury trial representing a coatings manufacturer against a claim of coating failure.
- Successfully obtained a defense judgment in a bench trial representing a coatings manufacturer in claim against a claim of coating failure.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment defeating claims against a coatings manufacturer in a claim of coating failure.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment defeating claims against a coating manufacturer arising out of a dispute about an agreement concerning a coatings claim
- Successfully obtained a jury verdict for a pharmacist against a national pharmacy retail chain for race discrimination.
- Attorney Ken Wright represented a Connecticut conservator for a person who was the settlor of the several trusts and who had won the lottery, where the trusts were subject to Massachusetts law and the trustee was located in Massachusetts. Attorney Wright advised the conservator on Massachusetts trust law for the proceedings in the Connecticut Probate Court and represented the conservator in an action in the Massachusetts Probate Court with over twenty trust beneficiaries and the trustee as parties to the litigation. After obtaining a preliminary injunction in a contested hearing in the Massachusetts proceeding, Ken Wright working with several Connecticut attorneys, negotiated a settlement that was approved by the Massachusetts Probate Court, the Connecticut Probate Court, and the Connecticut Attorney General’s Office.
- Attorney Wright acted as local counsel for a beneficiary in a California Superior Court case alleging that a bank-corporate fiduciary had breached its fiduciary duties with seven figures damages alleged. The background work and research performed by Attorney Wright concerning Massachusetts law helped defeat a motion for summary judgment filed by the bank.
- Attorney Wright represented a trustee-beneficiary in litigation against another trustee-beneficiary alleging breach of fiduciary duty in control of the trust that owned a large business and real estate interests. After obtaining a preliminary injunction, in a contested hearing, preserving the status quo in the trust, Attorney Wright negotiated a seven figure settlement for the client.
- Attorney Wright represented the executor of an estate in defending a will contest brought by an heir at law alleging undue influence and requesting that the will be waived in favor of an ex-spouse, who claimed she was still married to the person who had died. The estate was valued in excess of seven figures. The will challenge was defeated by Attorney Wright.
- Attorney Wright represented a large charity, which had been named as the sole recipient in a will, in a will contest alleging lack of testamentary capacity and undue influence. Attorney Wright and the attorney representing the estate were able to defeat the will contest.
- In an election case, Attorney Wright represented a client in the Superior Court, Massachusetts Appeals Court, and the Supreme Judicial Court in a single day.
- FEATURED RESULTS
- PRACTICE AREAS
NEWS & KNOWLEDGE
- The Best Lawyers in America® Recognizes Nine Smith Duggan Partners; Two Attorneys Selected as Best Lawyers®: Ones to Watch
- The Best Lawyers in America© Recognizes Six Smith Duggan Partners; Two Attorneys Selected as Best Lawyers®: Ones to Watch
- 2020 Super Lawyers® Recognizes Eight Smith Duggan Attorneys
- Five Smith Duggan Partners Recognized in the 2020 Edition of "The Best Lawyers® in America"
- Ken Wright Named to Key Advisory Board for LEGUS International
- Ken Wright's CIP Level 2 certification as a coatings inspector has been approved for a three year extension by NACE International (the National Association of Corrosion Engineers)